Technology Transformation by SKC Changes the World.
Number of employees
- - Ranked as the world’s No.1 company in technology for the production of copper foil for batteries
- - Localization on high-end blank mask for semiconductors
- - The first Korean business to develop PET film
- - The world’s first business to commercialize an environmentally-friendly HPPO process
tons of copper foil
tons of PET
tons of PO
tons of PG
SKC’s technologies enhance the value of life with new changes.
- SKC to cooperate more broadly with CJ CheilJedang in eco-friendly biodegradable packing materials Development of new packing material with merits maximized through addition of degradable PLA (Poly Lactic Acid) and PHA (Polyhydroxy Alkanoate) ··· Expansion of products to which they are appliedPresenting a long-term objective of Net Zero Plastic ··· Strengthening ESG management through expansion of biodegradable materials SKC (President Lee Wanjae), which has become the world’s first business that commercialized a biodegradable PLA film, has started an action to expand the biodegradable material market in cooperation with CJ CheilJedang, which has developed a biodegradable PHA. SKC has supplied an eco-friendly biodegradable PLA film packing material to Starbucks Korea and started strengthening the business related to biodegradable materials, such as preparation of commercialization of PBAT (Polybutylene Adipate co Terephthalate), which is a biodegradable material, last year. The company succeeded in the development of a new eco-friendly biodegradable packing material, which maximizes the merits of each component, by adding PHA made by CJ CheilJedang to PLA, which is obtained from corn. CJ CheilJedang plans to use this packing material in the production of its product, “Happy Bean Tofu,” and to expand the range of products that use it. CJ CheilJedang expects to see a reduction of the use of oil-based plastics by about 500,000 tons per year. PHA made from vegetable ingredients is a plastic that is biodegradable both in soil and in the sea. There are only a few businesses in the world that can make it. PHA made by CJ CheilJedang is transparent and soft, thus it can be used for a variety of purposes. Last February, CJ CheilJedang won the ‘TÜV Biodegradable certification” recognized in Europe and North America. It had experienced difficulties in the use of PHA as a packing material without adding other substances, as it is a soft material. The two businesses succeeded in the production of a durable, pliable, and transparent packing material by adding PHA to a durable PLA. SKC, boasting the world’s best technological prowess in the production of biodegradable film, developed an optimal manufacturing process, including the ratio of mixing the two substances in a way that maximizes their merits and succeeded in the mass production of it in a biaxial-orientation method. The two businesses agreed to apply this packing material to other products. CJ CheilJedang plans to build a PHA production facility with a capacity of 5,000 tons per year in Indonesia this year and replace the packing material for its Bibigo and sugar products with the biodegradable packing material, in a bid to expand the share of eco-friendly materials. SKC plans to develop optimal manufacturing conditions that are designed to embody physical properties for the packing material, in a bid to manufacture products of the highest possible quality. SKC will supply the biodegradable material to its customer businesses. As one that has pointed to eco-friendliness as one of its main business goals, SKC is discussing how to apply the eco-friendly packing material to as many products as possible with leading food manufacturers in the country, while striving to prepare for the commercialization of durable and biodegradable PBAT. Commenting on the matter, an SKC official said, “At the periodic GMoS held this year, we announced a plan to grow with the world, presenting our long-term objective for Net Zero Plastic as one of our strategic directions for the second Deep Change. We will strengthen our ESG management through the expansion of the eco-friendly material business, including the supply of products that can satisfy customers and develop better materials, fully utilizing our technological prowess accumulated thus far.” [CJ CheilJedang’s “Happy Bean Tofu” products (above) to which the biodegradable packing material jointly developed by SKC and CJ CheilJedang is applied; The products (below) to which SKC’s biodegradable PLA film packing material is applied.] (Photos courtesy of CJ CheilJedang) 2021.04.02